How Calorimetry Works & How We Save You Time & Money
Here are the advantages of Excedr’s differential scanning calorimeter leasing program:
- Eliminates the upfront cost of purchasing equipment by diffusing its cost over time
- Payments may be 100% tax deductible*, which provides you significant cash-savings
- Leasing through Excedr costs less than buying the equipment outright
- Offers convenient repair coverage to keep your lab’s downtime to a minimum
- We deal with and expedite the administrative work needed for instrument procurement and maintenance
- The money saved with our leasing program, clients are more capable to reinvest in their core business and operations (staffing, inventory, marketing/sales, etc.)
*Please consult your tax advisor to determine the full tax implications of leasing equipment.
Whichever method or setup you need, the Excedr lease program is equipped to handle any and all device requests that your lab has. Contact us today to learn how cone calorimeter lease leasing can save you money and time.
All equipment brands/models are available
REQUEST A LEASE ESTIMATE
In calorimetry the device used to measure the change in thermal energy of either a chemical or physical process is called a calorimeter. If this process occurs at constant pressure, the change in heat measured is also known as the change in a system’s enthalpy. It can also be used to find the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a system or object by one degree. This is known as finding a system’s heat capacity and is expressed as joules per kelvin (J/K). When heat capacity is expressed in calories per gram, this is referred to as specific heat. In their most basic form, these devices have an enclosed, well-insulated chamber, filled with a known reference material, water is widely used, and something that can measure the heat of the desired reaction inside the chamber.
Performing thermal analysis of materials has use in a wide variety of fields in chemistry, material science, and thermodynamics. Isothermal and isothermal titration calorimetry, for example, are laboratory devices that study thermal reactions in biological, physical, or chemical processes. Studying the thermal reactions between biomolecules is referred to a microcalorimetry. Bomb calorimeters are used to study combustions of specific reactions. The most commonly found use would be in food where these thermal reaction measuring devices are used to determine how many calories are in our food. These instruments can be useful in both solid and liquid fuel testing, explosives testing, the study of heat energy in academia, water treatment, and soil characterization.
Techniques, Advantages, & Costs of Calorimeters
Adiabatic (Isothermal Titration Clorimeters/ITC)
This thermal analysis technique is used to look at heat exchange inside a system without having any heat transfer to its surroundings. This type of process is referred to as adiabatic. Ideally, when energy is generated in this type of setup, 100% of that heat will go toward increasing the system’s temperature, feeding the reaction. The reaction would then generate more heat accelerating the increase in temperature, and thus, the reaction. These devices are used to study so-called “runaway reactions” for this reason. ITC is an example of an adiabatic calorimeter that is used to study the interactions of small molecules with large ones.
When looking at exothermic or endothermic properties of a chemical reaction, reaction calorimeters are used. These devices are comprised of an insulated jacket surrounding a reaction container. A temperature measuring instrument is then submerged within the container. These devices can be separated into four main subcategories depending on what they are measuring and how they are measuring it.
- Heat Flow: This method focuses on the heat flow as it passes across the reactor’s wall. This means that the energy input or output is transferred from the insulating jacked to the samples. This then can be used to determine the amount of heat per unit of area per unit of time, that is transferred. This is referred to as the heat flux.
- Heat Balance: The thermal losses or gains of a process is controlled by the heating or cooling of the insulating jacket in this method. The heat transfer fluid is observed to determine any change in the energy of the system.
- Power Compensation (PCC): A cooling jacket working at a constant temperature and a constant flow rate is used and the process temperature is controlled by adjusting the power being fed to an electrical heater. The power of the electrical heater is varied to maintain the desired temperature throughout the process.
- Constant Flux: Maintaining a constant temperature of the insulated jacket, constant flux calorimetry instead varies the area that the heat transfer occurs over by varying the geometry of the jacket.
Bomb Calorimeter (Constant Volume)
This method involves measuring the heat energy of a reaction in an environment under constant volume conditions. This is why it is considered a constant volume calorimetry technique. They are used to look at thermal changes within a combustion reaction. Since the volume must remain the same, these devices are built to withstand immense pressure that increases while the reactions occur within them. The basic components that make up bomb calorimetry instruments are the sample, ignition wires to cause the reaction, and a “bomb”, a stainless steel container in which the reaction will occur, one which is often submerged in water and held inside an insulated container. Additionally, there is a thermometer and a stirrer that monitor and move the water in the container.
Constant Pressure Calorimetry
As the name indicates, this technique involves using a constant pressure environment to measure the change in a reactions enthalpy, a material’s aversion to change. A simple example would be what is known as a coffee cup calorimeter. They consist of two styrofoam coffee cups nested in one another with a lid on top that has a hole for the thermometer and a stirring rod. A known solvent (such as water) is stored inside the innermost cup. With the outer cup acting as an insulator, the heat from the reaction is absorbed into the solvent and measured with the thermometer. Constant pressure calorimeters are also called isobaric calorimeters.
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
These devices observe how changes in a material’s temperature alter its heat capacity. While using a known material and monitoring the differences in heat capacity, phase and physical changes can be detected with accuracy. DSC’s ease with which it is able to cause materials to reach their transition points and the speed that these tests are done are why it is such a commonly used technique. There are two main approaches, heat flux and heat flow DSC.
- Heat Flow: This device measures the flow of thermal energy into a sample in one container by comparing it to the flow of heat energy into a separate reference container. In both cases, the containers are kept at a constant temperature through the entire reaction.
- Heat Flux: Similar to heat flow, heat flux DSC compares the temperature difference between the sample and reference container as their temperatures change at a constant rate.
At their heart, calorimeters use known physical or environmental properties to find unknown thermal properties of materials. Each method changes a different known variable and observes how that changes the sample’s thermal energy. The many different types of techniques and classifications of these types of equipment go to show how complex and specific thermal analysis can be.
They can even be found in particle physics in the form of hadron and electromagnetic calorimeters. Both are used to better understand the smallest known units of matter in our universe by studying the heat energy of particles. A hadronic calorimeter is currently being used at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in the study of the Higgs-Boson particle, however not every application is so complex. For example, the amount of calories listed on the nutrition labels of food are obtained using these thermal reaction devices.
If you need a thermal analysis instrument, for commercial or academic purposes, you should not need to worry about how you are going to finance it. Though they can be vital to your work, calorimeters can be prohibitively expensive, but that should not deter you from acquiring the equipment that you need. Excedr offers you a smart alternative to purchasing that allows you to continue your work in a fiscally responsible manner.
Lease Any Bomb Calorimeter That Suits Your Needs
This off-balance sheet financing structure provides three options at the end of the term. The lessee has the option to return the equipment to the lessor, renew at a discounted rate, or purchase the instrument for the fair market value. Monthly payments are also 100% tax deductible which yields additional monetary savings.
If you recently bought equipment, Excedr can offer you cash for your device and convert your purchase into a long-term rental. This is called a sale-leaseback. If you’ve paid for equipment within the last ninety days, we can help you recoup your investment and allow you to make low monthly payments. This also frees up money in your budget rather than tying it down to a fixed asset.
CALORIMETRY MACHINE MANUFACTURERS & MODELS ON THE MARKET
- TA Instruments: Discovery DSC Series, DSC25, DSC250, DSC2500, DSC25P, TAM Air, TAM IV, TAM IV-48, Multicell DSC, MC DSC, Nano DSC, Auto Nano DSC, Affinity ITC Auto, Nano ITC, SDT 650
- Parr Instruments: 6400 Automatic Isoperibol, 6200 Isoperibol, 6100 Compensated Jacket, 6050 Compensated Jacket, 1341 Plain Jacket, 6725 Semi-micro
- Malvern Panalytical: MicroCal VP-ITC, MicroCAL iTC200, MicroCal PEAQ-ITC, MicroCAL PEAQ-ITC Automated, MicroCal PEAQ-DSC Automated, MicroCal PEAQ-DSC, MicroCAL VP-DSC, MicroCal VP-Capillary DSC
- IKA Instruments: C 200, C 200 h, C 200 h auto, C 200 auto, C 1 Package 1/10, C 1 Package 1/12, C 1 Package 2/10, C 1 Package 2/12, C 1 Package 3/10, C 1 Package 3/12, C 6000 global standards Package 1/10, C 6000 global standards Package 1/12, C 6000 global standards Package 2/10, C 6000 global standards Package 2/12, C 6000 isoperibol Package 1/10, C 6000 isoperibol Package 1/12, C 6000 isoperibol Package 2/10, C 6000 isoperibol Package 2/12, C 3000 isoperibol Package 1/10 plus, C 3000 isoperibol Package 1/12 plus, C 3000 isoperibol Package 2/10, C 3000 isoperibol Package 2/12, C 3000 isoperibol Package
- Hitachi: DSC7000 Series, DSC7000X, DSC7020
- Instrument Specialist Thermal Analysis: AC500, AC600
- Instrument Specialist Incorporated: DSC-Differential Scanning Calorimter, DSC, PDSC-Pressure Differential Scanning Calorimeter, PDSC, DSC-E-Differential Scanning Calorimeter External Cell, DSC-E
- Shimadzu: DSC-60 Plus Model, DSC-60 Plus, DSC-60A Plus Model, DSC-60A Plus
- Mettler Toledo: DSC 3, DSC 3+, Flash DSC 3+, Flash DSC 2+, HP DSC 2+, HS84 DSC hot stage system, HS84 DSC hot stage system, HS82 hotstage system, TGA/DSC 3+ small furnace (SF), TGA/DSC 3+ large furnace (LF)
- Netzsch: DSC 204 F1 Nevio, DSC 214 Nevio, Photo-DSC 204 F1 Phoenix, DSC 3500 Sirius, DSC 404 F1 Pegasus – High – Temperature DSC, DSC 214 Poyma, DSC 204 HP Phoenix – High-Pressure DSC, DSC 204 F1 Phoenix, DSC 404 F3 – High – Temperature DSC, Accelerated Rate Calorimeter 254, ARC 254, ARC 244, Multiple Module Calroimeter MMC 274 Nexus, STA 449 F1 Jupiter, STA 449 F3 Jupiter, STA 449 F5 Jupiter, STA 2500 Regulus
- Humboldt Manufacturer: Langavant Method Calorimeter, H-3162.5F, Digital Cement Calorimeter, H-3161, H-3161.4F
- Calmetrix: I-Cal Flex, Biocal, Biocal 2000, Biocal 4000, I-Cal HPC, I-Cal 2000 HPC, I-Cal 4000 HPC, I-Cal 8000 HPC, I-Cal Ultra, F-Cal
- Thermal Hazard Technology: Accelerated Rate Calorimeter (ARC), EsARC, EV-ARC, EV+ARC, Battery Performance Calorimeter (BPC) ARC, BPC ARC System, MicroRC, µRC, IAC, IBC, IBC-CC, IBC-P, IBC-PL, USIC
- Cosa Xentaur: Wobble Index Calorimeter/BTU, BTU Calorimeter, COSA 9610, COSA 9700, COSA 9750, COSA CV PRO, COSA CV-Sonic Pro
- Custom Scientific Instruments: CSI-129
- Syrris: Atlas HD, Atlas HD Reaction Calorimeter, Chemisens, Chemisens Calorimeter, Chemisens CPA202, Chemisens CPA201, Chemisens CPA202 HighSens Calorimeter
- FTT Scientific: FTT Scientific Oxygen Bomb calorimeter
- Setram Instrumentation KEP Technologies: BT 2.15, C80, AlexSys, AlexSys-800, AlexSys-1000, MS80, C600, microSC-4c, HP Micro DSC, microDSC7 evo, µDSC7 EVO, MHTC 96, MHTC 96 hf-DSC, MHTC 96 drop, THEMYS STA DSC, THEMYS STA TG-DSC, SENSYS evo TG-DSC, SENSYS evo DSC, LABSYS evo DTA/DSC, SETSYS Evolution DSC, DSC131 evo, HP Micro DSC, HP µDSC
- Linseis: Chip-DSC 10, Chip-DSC 100, DSC PT100, DSC PT100 HP, DSC PT100 HIRES, DSC PT 1600
- HEL: Simular, TSu, Phi-TEC I, Phi-TEC II, BTC, On-line heat flow Calorimetry
- and more!
REQUEST A LEASE ESTIMATE
Effect on Credit & Operating Capital
Leasing/renting does not hinder your future borrowing ability and allows you to keep your business credit line open for expansions, staffing, and other operational expenses. Additionally, it strengthens the cash flow of your business and keeps cash reserves free for business development opportunities.
Unlike traditional financing and leasing companies, the Excedr program can accommodate refurbished/reconditioned equipment in addition to demo units. If you are looking for additional cost-savings, we recommend considering this option.
Speed of Approval
Excedr’s program allows you to respond quickly as your need for equipment and technology arises. You can be approved with minimal documentation and have the equipment you need in operation and generating revenue for your business quickly.